Endocrine diseases in the head and neck region involve the thyroid and parathyroid glands. Abnormal function of either of these glands can cause a variety of symptoms from low to excessive energy levels, weight loss or weight gain, and hot or cold temperature sensitivity among other things. If a hormonal issue is a concern, we recommend you discuss with your primary care physician or an Endocrinologist. However, some conditions of the thyroid and parathyroid do require the attention of a surgeon. These include:
- Overactive Parathyroid glands
- Enlarged thyroid causing difficulty swallowing or breathing
- Thyroid Nodules
- Thyroid Cancers
- Overactive Thyroid gland
If any of the above is an issue you may be dealing with, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Head & Neck Cancer
Cancer in the head and neck region can present in a multitude of ways. Some concerning changes may include a lump or a sore that does not heal, a persistent sore throat, difficulty in swallowing or breathing, and a change in one’s voice, typically hoarseness. While other minor conditions can also present similarly, if you feel one of these issues has been present for several weeks, it is recommended that you go for a check-up with your doctor. Tobacco and alcohol usage significantly increase the risk of developing cancer in the head and neck region. HPV exposure (Human Papilloma virus) has also been identified as a significant risk factor for head and neck cancer especially in younger individuals. As an otolaryngologist, we are equipped to both assess you and help manage the condition, whether it be minor or something more serious.
Other symptoms to watch out for include:
- Persistent white or red patch inside the mouth
- Unusual bleeding or pain in the mouth.
- Trouble breathing or speaking
- Pain when swallowing
- Pain in the neck or the throat that does not go away
- Chronic sinus infections that do not respond to treatment with antibiotics
- Bleeding through the nose
- Swelling under the chin or around the jawbone
- Facial numbness or paralysis of the muscles in the face
The head and neck region contains many areas where cancer may arise. These include:
- Facial Skin
- Salivary Glands
- Nose and/or sinuses
- Mouth – tongue, lips, gums, tonsils for example
- Throat – vocal folds and surrounding structures
- Lymph Nodes in the neck Thyroid and Parathyroid gland
From providing an initial work-up to determining treatment including biopsies and surgery if warranted, we want to provide you with the best care through this difficult time. If you are dealing with any of the above, please contact us to schedule an appointment.