Naren N. Venkatesan MD
Naren N. Venkatesan received a Bachelor degree in the Plan II Honors liberal arts program and in Microbiology from the University of Texas at Austin in 2005. He then completed his medical degree from Texas Tech University, receiving his MD in 2009. He began his surgical training with an internship in General Surgery at Emory University in 2010. After Internship, he successfully finished his formal residency training in Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, Texas in 2014 and served as chief resident during the final year of residency.
During his residency, he was exposed to a high clinical volume which allowed him to excel in all aspects of the field. He received a resident research award from the Houston Otolaryngology society in 2012. He was honored with a Pine award in 2014 for excellence. Following residency, Dr. Venkatesan had a special interest in conditions involving the voice, airway, and swallowing. This desire led him to pursue a fellowship in Laryngology and Bronchoesophagology under the training of Dr. Peter Belafsky at UC-Davis, completed in 2015. His additional training gives him expertise in managing these complicated disorders and performing videostroboscopy and transnasal esophagoscopy (unique procedures to assess the vocal cords and swallowing anatomy). In 2015, Dr. Venkatesan became board-certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology.
NEW Podcast Interview!
Dr. Venkatesan was an invited guest on All Things Cancer with Tina Withrow. On this podcast, Dr. Venkatesan answers some basic questions of cancer in the head and neck region. Further, he touches upon his goal to help treat this unique population by managing their voice, airway, and swallowing issues. CLICK HERE to listen.
Dr. Venkatesan treats adult and pediatric patients with a variety of ENT conditions as well as advanced disorders involving the voice, the airway, and swallowing. These include but are not limited to:
- Surgery involving the vocal cords, the airway (trachea), and swallowing (esophagus)
- Primary and Revision Sinus Surgery including Balloon Sinuplasty
- Allergic Conditions
- Endocrine diseases of the thyroid and parathyroids
- Head and Neck Cancer
- Sleep Apnea Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
Dr. Venkatesan has clinical privileges at the following:
- Doctor’s Hospital/Baylor Scott & White – White Rock Lake
- Baylor University Medical Center – Downtown
- Medical City at Dallas
Along with a focus on providing excellent care to his patients, Dr. Venkatesan has published several articles in peer-reviewed journals. His clinical interests include management of dysphagia in cancer patients including post-radiation and cricopharyngeal muscle dysfunction among other topics.
- Johnson CM, Venkatesan NN, Siddiqui MT, Cates DJ, Kuhn MA, Postma GN, Belafsky PC. Outcomes of laryngohyoid suspension techniques in an ovine model of profound oropharyngeal dysphagia. Laryngoscope 2017 Jul; [e-pub]
- Venkatesan NN, Johnson CM, Siddiqui MT, Cates DJ, Kuhn MA, Postma GN, Belafsky PC. Comparison of swallowing outcomes of laryngotracheal separation versus total laryngectomy in a validated ovine model of profound oropharyngeal dysphagia. J Laryngol Otol. 2017 Apr; 131(4): 350-356.
- Venkatesan NN, Evangelista LM, Kuhn MA, Belafsky PC. Normal Fluoroscopic Appearance status post-successful endoscopic Zenker diverticulotomy. Laryngoscope. 2017 Jan; e-pub
- Venkatesan NN, Belafsky PC. Office-Based Treatment of Dysphagia. Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology. 2016 Jun; 27:104-113
- Cates DJ, Venkatesan NN, Strong B, Kuhn MA, Belafsky PC. Effect of Vocal Fold Medialization on Dysphagia in Patients with Unilateral Vocal Fold Mobility. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2016 May (E-publication ahead of print)
- Venkatesan NN, Belafsky PC. In-Office Esophageal Procedures. Current Otorhinolaryngology Reports 2015; 3(3):144-154
- Venkatesan NN, Mattox DE, Del Gaudio JM. Cerebrospinal fluid leaks following septoplasty. Ear Nose Throat J. 2014 Dec; 93(12):E43-46.
- Venkatesan NN, Gnagi SH, Underbrink MP. Role of Intra-Operative Nerve Monitoring in Thyroidectomies: An Institutional Review. International Journal of Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery. 2014 Jun; 3:154-160.
- Venkatesan NN, Pine HS, Underbrink MP. Laryngopharyngeal Reflux Disease in children. Pediatric Clin North Am. 2013 Aug; 60(4):865-878.
- Venkatesan NN, Rodman RE, Mukerji SS. Post-tonsillectomy hemorrhage in children with hematological abnormalities. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2013 Jun; 77(6):959-963.
- Rodman R, Boehnke M, Venkatesan N, Pine H. Discharge after tonsillectomy in pediatric sleep apnea patients. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2013 May; 77(5):682-685.
- Sheu M, Sridharan S, Kuhn M, Wang S, Paul B, Venkatesan N, Fuller CW, Simpson CB, Johns M, Branski RC, Amin MR. Multi-Institutional Experience With the In-Office Potassium Titanyl Phosphate Laser for Laryngeal Lesions. J Voice. 2012 Jul 13.
- Venkatesan NN, Pine HS, Underbrink MP. Recurrent respiratory papillomatosis. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2012 Jun; 45(3):671-94, viii-ix.
- Venkatesan NN, Johns MM, Hapner ER, DelGaudio JM. Abductor paralysis after botox injection for adductor spasmodic dysphonia. Laryngoscope. 2010 Jun; 120(6):1177-80.
Books and Chapters
- Venkatesan NN, Pine HS. Congenital Nasal Masses. Dr. Quinn’s Online Textbook of Otolaryngology. University of Texas Medical Branch Web Portal, 2013.
- Venkatesan NN, Underbrink MP. Treatment of Early Glottic Cancers. Dr. Quinn’s Online Textbook of Otolaryngology. University of Texas Medical Branch Web Portal, 2013.
- Venkatesan NN, Pine HS. Pediatric Airway. Dr. Quinn’s Online Textbook of Otolaryngology. University of Texas Medical Branch Web Portal, 2013.
- Venkatesan NN, Hessel A. Mucosal Melanoma. Dr. Quinn’s Online Textbook of Otolaryngology. University of Texas Medical Branch Web Portal, 2013.
- Venkatesan NN, McCammon SD. Merkel Cell Carcinoma. Dr. Quinn’s Online Textbook of Otolaryngology. University of Texas Medical Branch Web Portal, 2012.
- Venkatesan NN, Underbrink MP. Unilateral Vocal Fold Paralysis. Dr. Quinn’s Online Textbook of Otolaryngology. University of Texas Medical Branch Web Portal, 2011.
- Venkatesan NN, Athre R. Lip Cancer Reconstruction. Dr. Quinn’s Online Textbook of Otolaryngology. University of Texas Medical Branch Web Portal, 2011.
- Venkatesan NN, McCammon SD. Benign Thyroid Disease. Dr. Quinn’s Online Textbook of Otolaryngology. University of Texas Medical Branch Web Portal, 2010.